I downloaded an app called "Project Compassion" from Australia, and it's a calendar to follow along with throughout the lenten season. Each day they talk about a different cause and suggestions on what to pray about and how you can donate money and time if you'd like. So I've got that going for me. I haven't given to any of those causes (yet) but I gave to Boo's (the cutest dog in the world) 8th birthday crusade to supply clean water to those who don't have access to it and I gave to a friend's adoption fees and legal fees. I'm also signed up for 2 5ks this month and one benefits the Humane Society, and the other is just for fun. I didn't give a whole lot, but it was what I could spare. I don't usually tell people when I give to things, but no one reads this so it doesn't count. Either way, no one knows still. Tee hee.
So I plan on doing no meat on Ash Wednesday (tomorrow), Good Friday, and all the Fridays of Lent. We don't go to church (we plan on it when we have kids) but I definitely pray and think about things privately a lot, so if that's not praying, I don't know what is! (I also believe that prayer should be private and between just you and God, not a show for everyone to see you are doing it....a bit of my issue with Churches around here....but anyway). I thought it would be good for me to get my thoughts on this season written down instead of swimming in my head, so that is basically the point of this post.
What I'd like to "give up" (or abstain from):
- Excess money spending (i.e. frivolous purchases)
- Excessive, indulgent eating. We are supposed to fast, but I will do my best to stick with modest meals.
- Fast food
- Alcohol (excepting in my husband's and my birthday lunch--if I chose to partake)
- Online shopping....gets me every time.
- Save money, but give some away to help those in need.
- Being more active (to celebrate my God-given temple and strength)
- Be more thankful of the food I have (eat of the earth as much as possible)
- Be humble
- Be more reflective in prayer, thought, and spoken word.
- Lead by example.
- Show compassion to others and the world around us, encourage others to follow, and to create a better environment for everyone around me.
- Thankfulness and appreciation. I can't say those enough.
- Be more heartFULL instead of heartLESS. I find way too many reasons to complain these days.....silver linings are everywhere...it's your job to find them.